Thursday 25 October 2012

SWN Fest!

Some of you by now may have gathered I have a bit of a thing for Cardiff, I absolutely love the city and I've been lucky enough to make some fabulous friends up there over the past few months. SWN Festival happens every year in Cardiff and it's four days of incredibly good music from across the country, ranging from acoustic solo artists to hardcore bands. Not much could be better than going to my favourite city and watching live music for the whole weekend!

Unfortunately me and my flatmate Amy couldn't make the first day (thursday) as we were covering Bastille in Brighton, which did mean we missed the likes of Django Django and Gallows, boo! The plan though was to leave Friday morning so we could make up for it, but good lord did that plan not go well! We left Brighton at half ten and it took us eight hours to drive to Cardiff, EIGHT HOURS, it's only meant to take four! It's safe to say we were completely delirious by the time we did arrive as humour was the only way to get through the rage that was the M4.

My good pal Mackie was putting us both up for the weekend and from the moment we put our stuff down I don't think I stopped laughing. Friday night we went to Pop Bubble Rock! again, to see the lovely Lais blast out some tunes and drink away our destroyed souls from the journey up. A brilliant night out that left us feeling slightly sorry for ourselves saturday morning. But we got up, headed to the city centre, with a quick stop for New York Deli bagels of course, before spending the day checking out loads of seriously great music. Sweet Baboo and Death At Sea were at the top of my list and they were both fantastic!

Saturday night was probably the best night of all, we headed to Clwb Ifor Bach for a ruddy good party and that is exactly what we did! Mackie rounded up a gang and we all got rather drunk and busted our shapes on the dancefloor. I met so many great people this weekend, which was quite bizarre in some cases (won't name drop), but I didn't meet a single person that wasn't friendly and a great laugh.

(A summary of our emotions over the weekend from Day 1 - Day 4)

Sunday again was spent feeling really quite fragile and with only two hours sleep, it was going to be a tough one, but we super luckily got cooked breakfast which gave us a bit of life to continue a day of music! Among Brothers, Samoans and Luke Sital-Singh were absolutely crackin' and definitely lifted my spirits, though both me and Mackie hit a wall around 7:30 and decided it was time to retire to the sofa with duvets and x factor. We're old, I know!

Overall it was an amazing weekend that I have so many great memories from, I've met even more people that I can't wait to see again and I've fallen even more in love with Cardiff as a place. There's such a great vibe around the city and everyone has so much support for the music scene, which is great to see in this day. I can only urge you to check out SWN fest and all the bands / artists on the line-up because it really is worth the trip and tickets aren't too pricey! Bring on next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment