Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday Sound #6

I know I know! I haven't written a Sunday Sound post in FAR too long. Which I'm annoyed at myself with, I guess I got caught up with the various festivities as well as losing all track of the days, thanks to working bizarre and mixed hours in retail. But I'm back on it, bringing you a new band to discover each week! If you have any recommendations drop me a little comment below. Enjoy!

MMX



MMX have been on my list of new bands to write about for a while, finally they have this little space on the internet. You may recognise the dulcet tones of vocalist Ashley Wilkie from the band Francesqa, who called it a day back in 2011, reincarnating themselves as MMX. Now, I was a big fan of Francesqa and was saddened to see their demise, however when hints of the new musical project started arising, I was excited to see the outcome. 

MMX first released Cold World back in June, following up with Follow a few months later. Both tracks were an impressive concoction of pulsating drum patterns, powerful vocal and guitars. A lot of thought had clearly gone into the production of the tracks and the previous Francesqa fans lapped it up, though knowing little about the story behind MMX.

We still don't know much behind MMX, they've kept things minimal and intriguing, which I like, it keeps the interest strong. This week they also released their first EP, Child. Which I've been listening to continuously since I got my hands on a copy. It has a slightly mellower vibe than the previously released tracks, with a whole lot more depth. Experimenting with their sound a bit more, infusing synths, claps and sliding guitar lines. It really is a beautiful piece of work though, it's the sort of music you could...ahem.. make love too, or if that's not your thing, just lie back and enjoy the sounds around you. 

They're playing their first show in London THIS Tuesday, tickets have already sold out, though. Here's hoping they'll string together some tour dates and festival appearances over the next few months! 

For Fans Of: Francesqa, You Me At Six, Deaf Havana


No comments:

Post a Comment